Compulsion by Martina Boone
(Website, Twitter, Facebook)Also by this author: Lake of Destiny, Bell of Eternity
Published by Simon and Schuster on October 28th 2014
Genres: Family, General, Legends, Myths, Fables, Love & Romance, Young Adult
Beautiful Creatures meets The Body Finder in Compulsion, the first novel in a spellbinding new trilogy.All her life, Barrie Watson has been a virtual prisoner in the house where she lived with her shut-in mother. When her mother dies, Barrie promises to put some mileage on her stiletto heels. But she finds a new kind of prison at her aunt’s South Carolina plantation instead—a prison guarded by an ancient spirit who long ago cursed one of the three founding families of Watson Island and gave the others magical gifts that became compulsions. Stuck with the ghosts of a generations-old feud and hunted by forces she cannot see, Barrie must find a way to break free of the family legacy. With the help of sun-kissed Eight Beaufort, who knows what Barrie wants before she knows herself, the last Watson heir starts to unravel her family’s twisted secrets. What she finds is dangerous: a love she never expected, a river that turns to fire at midnight, a gorgeous cousin who isn’t what she seems, and very real enemies who want both Eight and Barrie dead.
- There are thirteen code words in the grid below that relate to Persuasion and the Heirs of Watson Island series.
- From 8/31 to 9/11, the Compulsion paperback blog tour will reveal the code word or words that will unlock a special page at http://www.MartinaBoone.com that day. (Yes, somewhere on this page, there is a CODE WORD!)
- There are three great giveaways (see below!) plus even more giveaways that are exclusive to Martina’s website when you visit.
- As a code word unlocks a page, you can go to that page to download free items. There will be stickers, DYI origami bookmark, traditional bookmarks, door hangers, book plates, beautiful wallpapers, and more.
- To unlock a page, replace the word CODEWORD in the following URL with the actual code and type or copy the whole thing into the address bar of your web browser: http://martinaboone.com/index.php/books/downloadables/CODEWORD/
- ALL pages will be unlocked by 9/11.
- All downloads are free, and most are available whether or not you pre-order.
- A few downloads will only be available with a pre-order receipt or order number.
- Wherever you need a pre-order receipt, there’s also a special Rafflecopter with additional AMAZING giveaways.
- With pre-order, a limited number of people will also receive a signed bookplate and beautiful signed Compulsion and Persuasion charm bookmarks with ribbons.
DON’T FORGET! FOLLOW THE REST OF THE TOUR FOR FREE DOWNLOADS AND MORE CHANCES TO WIN!
Compulsion For Reading Blog Tour
For daily updated links to all the tour stops and codes for free downloadables, plus more prizes and chances to win, go here:
I was lucky enough to get a copy of Compulsion by Martina Boone at BEA last year and I loved it!
Barrie hasn’t had an easy life and when her mother dies, she is sent to live with her aunt in South Carolina. Immediately things begin to get stranger for Barrie as she feels a strange pull toward the plantation her family owns. On top of that, her normal ability to find lost things begins to pull her to areas of the house that she isn’t necessarily ready to explore.
While Barrie is learning about her family, she is also learning more about the other two founding families and how they are all tied to the curse that impacts one of the families. There are quite a few secrets floating around this island and I found myself turning the pages to find out what they were and how they would impact Barrie.
I loved the world that Boone created in this book and can’t wait to read more about it in the rest of the series. Choosing to set this in the South and incorporate a family feud alongside the secrets these families have was perfect for this story. The magical aspect of the island only added to the rest of the story. As Barrie finds out more about her family and everyone else around her, she is drawn into a bigger mystery. Part of which includes why her mother ended up leaving Watson Island and never coming back.
I also thought Boone did a wonderful job of developing these characters. Eight Beaufort is the swoony boy and although Barrie was wishy washy with him, I think he was a perfect balance for her. He didn’t shove his GIFT down Barrie’s throat but he pushed her to think about what she wanted and forced her to look at more than just the surface of things.
Cassie was an interesting character and I hope we get to see more of her…despite how things ended in this book. I also hope we get to know more about Eight. I thought we got a nice little glimpse into both of these characters but I am greedy…I want more. I also found Barrie’s Aunt Pru to be a great character as well and hope we see more of her in the future books of this series.
This was a great introduction to these families and the stories that make up their history and impact the futures of the main characters. Hopefully this review doesn’t come off as too vague but I apologize if it does…kind of. I really don’t want to ruin anything for you. With that said, I can’t wait to see what comes next in this series and if you like books that have an interesting story/characters, a bit of mystery, and some romance, definitely check this one out when you can.
Books I feel have a similar feel or setting:
- Sweet Unrest by Lisa Maxwell
- Beware the Wild by Natalie C. Parker
- Strange Sweet Song by Adi Rule
- The Mirk and the Midnight Hour by Jane Nickerson