We’re so excited to pair up with our blogging BFF’s from Swoony Boys Podcast and bring you our latest author podcast! We’ve had the opportunity to chat with a handful of amazing authors over the years but we wanted to make this more of a regular feature and hopefully it provides you answers and insight into some of your favorite authors and books! (If you want to see someone specific make sure you let us know in the comments). We’re so excited to bring you our chat with the amazing Emily Henry!
A Million Junes by Emily Henry
(Twitter, Goodreads)Published by Penguin on May 16th 2017
Genres: Death & Dying, Fantasy, General, Romance, Social Themes, Young Adult Fiction
Romeo and Juliet meets One Hundred Years of Solitude in Emily Henry's brilliant follow-up to The Love That Split the World, about the daughter and son of two long-feuding families who fall in love while trying to uncover the truth about the strange magic and harrowing curse that has plagued their bloodlines for generations.
In their hometown of Five Fingers, Michigan, the O'Donnells and the Angerts have mythic legacies. But for all the tall tales they weave, both founding families are tight-lipped about what caused the century-old rift between them, except to say it began with a cherry tree.
Eighteen-year-old Jack “June” O’Donnell doesn't need a better reason than that. She's an O'Donnell to her core, just like her late father was, and O'Donnells stay away from Angerts. Period.
But when Saul Angert, the son of June's father's mortal enemy, returns to town after three mysterious years away, June can't seem to avoid him. Soon the unthinkable happens: She finds she doesn't exactly hate the gruff, sarcastic boy she was born to loathe.
Saul’s arrival sparks a chain reaction, and as the magic, ghosts, and coywolves of Five Fingers conspire to reveal the truth about the dark moment that started the feud, June must question everything she knows about her family and the father she adored. And she must decide whether it's finally time for her—and all of the O'Donnells before her—to let go.
- Emily Henry kicks us off with her elevator pitch for A Million Junes and tells us her inspiration for the book. Grab a tissue, pretties!
- We find out what a typical writing day looks like in the world of Emily Henry and how she develops her writing.
- Next, Emily shares how writing A Million Junes was different from anything else and why she would be leaving in handcuffs if the cops were to show up at her house.
- Then Emily lets us know how about the publishing process for A Million Junes and how many adverbs she had to remove from her initial drafts.
- We dish about Saul and his swoony-ness and what it was like to develop his relationship with June as well as about June’s relationship with Hannah and how it does mirror some relationships in Emily’s own life. #besties4lyfe
- We talk about genre-bending and some of Emily’s favorite scenes and parts of A Million Junes.
- Emily tells us the character she’d most like to introduce June to.
- We play two truths and a lie, which leads to an interesting discussion about the joys of cilantro and a hilarious mishap she had in her mom’s car. *grin*
- Emily tells us what she would write in a letter to her 17-year old self, and it’s deep.
- We shift gears and talk about what’s on Emily’s TBR pile and the books she wants to help spread the word about. Then she tells us who her favorite swoony boys are–we think you might be surprised when you find out a few of her picks!
- We wrap things up with a fun word association game.