Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the awesome and wonderful people over at The Broke and The Bookish
This week we look at the top ten words or topics that will make us NOT pick up a book. I think this one is hard for me because I will give almost anything a try… But here goes!
1. Biography – I’m just not an Biography kind of girl.
2. “If you liked 50 shades of grey” or “if you liked the crossfire novels” or “if you liked Twilight” – nope nope nope. I did make an exception recently… I might have been desperate. This is one reason I hate that marketers use these phrases because I actually liked the books, but those phrases kept me away for a very long time because of my feelings about the books that they are being compared to!
3. Christian – not the name. I’m just not interested in Christian based books.
4 Highland – I think this is because they usually are romance books and I’ve found that I’m just not that interested in romance novels set in the highlands hundreds of years ago.
5. WEIRD HERO/HEROINE NAMES – got that authors… I love names like Jack and I don’t need a fancy name to remember your story – give me an amazing story and that’s more than enough.
6. I will make exceptions to this of course, but Erin’s our resident historical person, but I kind of shy away when I see that word. (except I’m dying for Trisha Leigh’s new series The Historians… I know don’t make that face!)
7. Werewolves – I love paranormal stuff, but I think I’m holding onto my werewolf prejudices from Twilight. I just can’t get into the wolves.
8. Mermaids – I just absolutely have no interest what-so-ever in reading about mermaids. I don’t know. I feel like they became the next vampire lol
9. True Life stories – This falls in the same area as a biography to me. I just can’t get into them.
10. Westerns – no thank you.
So there you have it…My picks for words that keep me from reading a book. What words keep you away? Tell us in the comments!