I love, love, love Becky Albertalli and I hoped so hard that she would say yes when I sent her my pleading email to take part in our hop and she was so kind enough to say yes. Simon Vs The Homosapiens Agenda is an all-time favorite book of mine, and I just finished her upcoming release, The Upside of Unrequited and it too, is immediately going on my favorites shelf! Before we jump into Becky’s list of things she’s thankful for I want to tell you about her books!
Sixteen-year-old and not-so-openly gay Simon Spier prefers to save his drama for the school musical. But when an email falls into the wrong hands, his secret is at risk of being thrust into the spotlight. Now Simon is actually being blackmailed: if he doesn’t play wingman for class clown Martin, his sexual identity will become everyone’s business. Worse, the privacy of Blue, the pen name of the boy he’s been emailing, will be compromised.
With some messy dynamics emerging in his once tight-knit group of friends, and his email correspondence with Blue growing more flirtatious every day, Simon’s junior year has suddenly gotten all kinds of complicated. Now, change-averse Simon has to find a way to step out of his comfort zone before he’s pushed out—without alienating his friends, compromising himself, or fumbling a shot at happiness with the most confusing, adorable guy he’s never met.
Seventeen-year-old Molly Peskin-Suso knows all about unrequited love. No matter how many times her twin sister, Cassie, tells her to woman up, Molly can’t stomach the idea of rejection. So she’s careful. Fat girls always have to be careful.
Then a cute new girl enters Cassie’s orbit, and for the first time ever, Molly’s cynical twin is a lovesick mess. Meanwhile, Molly’s totally not dying of loneliness—except for the part where she is. Luckily, Cassie’s new girlfriend comes with a cute hipster-boy sidekick. If Molly can win him over, she’ll get her first kiss and she’ll get her twin back.
There’s only one problem: Molly’s coworker, Reid. He’s a chubby Tolkien superfan with a season pass to the Ren Faire, and there’s absolutely no way Molly could fall for him.
Top Ten Bookish Things I’m Thankful For (in no particular order)
- My squad. My posse. My amazing friends in the bookish community. It blows my mind that, three years ago, I knew none of you. I’m so incredibly grateful for the writers, bloggers, and other book nerds who help me celebrate tiny victories and talk through the hard stuff. My phone is full of your beautiful texts and tweets and emails, and my life is richer for it.
- My agent, Brooks, who has been my partner in crime since day one. Thanksgiving 2013 is when I signed with you, and there hasn’t been a dull moment since. I can’t think of anyone I’d rather have along for this ride.
- My editor, Donna, who knows how to cut straight to the heart of my books. Simon wouldn’t be Simon without her. Upside wouldn’t even exist.
- My publishing, agency, and film teams at home and abroad. Only now do I understand how much thought, care, time, and effort go into bringing a book from manuscript to print. I’ve been outrageously lucky to have the most creative, passionate, brilliant people working to make my books come alive – in multiple languages (and onto the big screen)!
- Simon Spier: you opened up a whole new world to me, and I refuse to believe you’re not real. It’s been quite a ride, hasn’t it?
- Molly Peskin-Suso: you were a nightmare to write, but now you’re my heart on the page.
- Leah Burke: you are a hot mess in all the best ways, and I’m loving every minute of living inside your head.
- My readers. I swear I’m not biased when I say I have THE most incredible readers in the entire world. Your messages and notes and Oreo recipes mean the world to me. You make me want to be a better writer, and you inspire me every day.
- My family. Your love and support is why I’m able to write in the first place.
- The books. I’ve loved you since I was too young to remember loving you. I’m grateful for the Berenstain Bears and the Babysitter’s Club and Sweet Valley High and The Perks of Being a Wallflower and Harry Potter and the hundreds of new worlds I get to live in every time I open you.
Well Becky, I want you to know that I’m thankful for you and the stories you write! Thank you for sharing your list with us!
1 winner will win a stack of books from our featured authors!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Head over to Swoony Boys Podcast to check out their featured author and enter to win their stack of books!