We’re so happy to be a part of the tour for Life After Juliet by Shannon Lee Alexander! Before we dive into my review, here are the book details!Life After Juliet by Shannon Lee Alexander
(Website, Twitter, Facebook, Goodreads)on July 5, 2016
Becca Hanson was never able to make sense of the real world. When her best friend Charlotte died, she gave up on it altogether. Fortunately, Becca can count on her books to escape—to other times, other places, other people...
Until she meets Max Herrera. He’s experienced loss, too, and his gorgeous, dark eyes see Becca the way no one else in school can.
As it turns out, kissing is a lot better in real life than on a page. But love and life are a lot more complicated in the real world...and happy endings aren't always guaranteed.
The companion novel to Love and Other Unknown Variables is an exploration of loss and regret, of kissing and love, and most importantly, a celebration of hope and discovering a life worth living again.
First I have to tell you all that this is a companion book! The first book Love & Other Unknown Variables should be read before you pick this one up! Spoiler on my thoughts for that one – it was amazing and you should definitely have already read it!
So that disclaimer out of the way, you’ve been warned!
Life After Juliet is Becca’s story… if you read L&OUV then you know Becca is Charlie’s sister. When I finished that book, I couldn’t help wondering what the future held for her, so I was incredibly excited to learn Alexander was writing this book. Becca was/is my favorite! She uses her books to escape to worlds that aren’t her own so she doesn’t have to deal with the things going on. Her brother Charlie has always known where he belonged and what his life and future hold for him, but Becca has never really fit in anywhere and so her books allow her to forget about that for a bit.
The bond that formed between her and Charlotte in L&OUV was lovely, but when Charlotte is no longer here, Becca isn’t sure how to cope and she certainly doesn’t want to deal with the pain of losing someone again, so she chooses not to put herself out there. Then Max Herrera appears in her life and it turns out they have something in common… grief, and he can understand her pain and sadness.
We sort of already know Becca a bit when diving into this story so that was nice to have some of her backstory ahead of time. It was such fun getting to know her more though. Her insecurities were completely relatable and I actually really enjoyed watching her come into her own in this story… and not just because of some boy! It was really great to see her figure out what she wanted to do and just go for it!
Once again, Alexander writes spectacular characters and stories that go with them. I think my favorite part was the bond that you recognize between Charlie and Becca and the best parts were her calling him to get advice on anything and everything. I love that he was so kind and wonderful to her even though he’s away at college he made time for her and was still a big part of her life.
Max Herrera will definitely make it to your new book boyfriend list. I promise. I mentioned above that he has had to deal with loss in his life, and I loved how Alexander weaved his story into Becca’s, how they were able to bond over this shared grief, but also how Max was still trying to get past it and not let it halt his life. He’s sweet, kind, encouraging and just a wonderful boy and one I totally have a crush on!
Ultimately this book looks a lot of different things, but it really explores how we deal with grief and loss and how that affects our lives. But there are other elements to this story that will have you laughing and smiling and realizing that while we all handle that grief in different ways, we learn to push through and enjoy the lives we have ahead of us.
Plus there’s kissing!
Thank you to the publisher for an advanced copy in exchange for my honest thoughts.
Open internationally, but prize packs ship only to US. International winners will receive Amazon gift cards (listed below).*
- Grand prize: Hyperboles are the best EVER! tote bag, a 4oz. Novelly Yours Antique Books candle, Toe-meo and Juliet Shakespearean socks, Life after Juliet poison and dagger necklace, Velveteen Rabbit note card, signed Life after Juliet bookmark and bookplate*
- 1st Runner Up: Hyperboles are the best EVER! tote bag, a 4 oz. Novelly Yours Antique Books candle, Toe-meo and Juliet Shakespearean socks, Life after Juliet dagger earrings, signed Life after Juliet bookmark and bookplate*
- 2nd Runner Up: 2oz. Novelly Yours Antique Books candle, Life after Juliet dagger earrings, Velveteen Rabbit note card, signed Life after Juliet bookmark and bookplate*
- 3rd Runner Up: 2oz. Novelly Yours Antique Books candle, Life after Juliet dagger earrings, signed Life after Juliet bookmark and bookplate*
*All contests are open internationally, but international winners will receive the following:
- Grand prize: $25 Amazon gift card, signed signed Life after Juliet bookmark and bookplate
- 1st Runner Up: $20 Amazon gift card, signed Life after Juliet bookmark and bookplate
- 2nd runner up: $15 Amazon gift card, signed Life after Juliet bookmark and bookplate
- 3rd runner up: $10 Amazon gift card, signed Life after Juliet bookmark and bookplate