We are so excited to be a part of the tour for A Reaper at the Gates by Sabaa Tahir that I may have squealed a little when I saw the email request come in (ok…I DID)! I’m going to share with you a few of the reasons why you should be reading this series in a moment but first, here’s a bit about book two, A Torch Against the Night just to prep you for the next few weeks leading up to the release of the third book in this series. If you haven’t yet started or caught up with the books, now is a perfect time as there is a reread going on right now. Use the hashtag #EmberReRead to join in!A Torch Against the Night by Sabaa Tahir
(Website, Twitter, Goodreads)Published by Penguin on August 29th 2017
Genres: Fantasy, Politics & Government, Romance, Young Adult Fiction
Elias and Laia are running for their lives. After the events of the Fourth Trial, Martial soldiers hunt the two fugitives as they flee the city of Serra and undertake a perilous journey through the heart of the Empire.
Laia is determined to break into Kauf—the Empire’s most secure and dangerous prison—to save her brother, who is the key to the Scholars’ survival. And Elias is determined to help Laia succeed, even if it means giving up his last chance at freedom.
But dark forces, human and otherworldly, work against Laia and Elias. The pair must fight every step of the way to outsmart their enemies: the bloodthirsty Emperor Marcus, the merciless Commandant, the sadistic Warden of Kauf, and, most heartbreaking of all, Helene—Elias’s former friend and the Empire’s newest Blood Shrike.
Bound to Marcus’s will, Helene faces a torturous mission of her own—one that might destroy her: find the traitor Elias Veturius and the Scholar slave who helped him escape…and kill them both.
Reasons Why You Should Be Reading
- There is so much action and danger for EVERYONE in this book.
- It isn’t just the main characters who are on the run that have to watch out. Even those working directly with and for the Emperor never know what to expect and whether they will survive.
- The Commandant is seriously EVIL.
- Sometimes a book will ease you into who the bad guy is…not here. From the second I was introduced to the Commandant I had no question in my mind that this was going to be the person that made everyone’s lives miserable.
- The world building is fantastic.
- Sabaa Tahir has created a world where you feel like you are in Ancient Rome but then she adds in magic, ghosts, and scary things that will make you realize you aren’t just in one static world
- Elias and Laia
- On their own I love these characters but I love them even more when they are together. Both have had quite a bit of growth throughout the novels and I loved seeing them change (for the better) over time.
- Even though she made me mad at times, she truly is loyal despite her role as Blood Shrike. Helene knows when to challenge and when to stand back and her love for her friends and family is obvious. Which also creates some challenges for her since the Emperor will do whatever he can to hurt her regardless of her role in his empire. Plus…she has secrets and I can’t wait to see what happens next with her.
- Friendship & Family
- There are so many different relationships in this series and Tahir does a great job of building them up so that they all come through clearly. Whether it is Helene, Elias, the Commandant, Marcus, Laia, Izzie, Helene’s family, the tribes, and all the other characters in the story, they all have a part to play and their impact on the overall story is well done.
Make sure you check out the other tour stops – they all have some great content that will get you excited for the next book!
May 14 – PageTravels – Creative Bookstagram Picture
May 15 – My Friends are Fiction – Review
May 16 – YA Books Central – Graphic Pictures
May 17 – Star-crossed Book Blog – Favorite Moments In The Series + Hopes For Book 3
May 18 – ButterMyBooks – Helene Aesthetic
May 19 – Icey Books – Creative Instagram Picture
May 21 – PaperTrailYa – Theories About Book Three
May 22 – The Book Feels – Review + Creative Cover Instagram
May 23 – A Perfection Called Books – Helene Appreciation Post
May 24 – ABibliophilesbkm – The character’s choices, consequences, and expectations
May 25 – The Young Folks – Favorite Moments
May 26 – @DarkFaerieTales – Creative Instagram Picture
May 28 – Fiction Fare – Reasons Why You Should Be Reading The Series
May 29 – Book Is Glee – Creative Instagram Post
May 30 – That’s Normal – Catch Up + Book Three Predictions + Fan Art
May 31 – Bibliophile Gathering – Favorite Moments From Book 2
June 1 – The Fandom – Author Interview
June 2 – The Eater of Books! – 100 Thoughts I had While Reading Book Two